Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Boo to Real Life

Well, I'm home from vacation. While it's nice to catch up with friends & emails, I'm definitely grouchy about being back. Real life never lives up to vacation life, does it? To illustrate, look at the schedule of my last day of vacation compared to my first day back in Boston:

Sunday, July 30th (vacation):
  1. 3:30 a.m. - In car traveling home from the bar in Charlottetown, pulled over by the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Sadly, not on horses).
  2. 4:00 a.m. - My friend Murray was taken to the police station for breathalyser test. My friend Brad & I were taken to Murray's house by the RCMP (who kindly allowed us to bring along the 4 cases of beer we had bought earlier that night).
  3. 6:00 a.m. - Murray got dropped off by the RCMP, having passed the breathalyser & avoided any marks on his record.
  4. 11:30 a.m. - Woke up at Murray's house to a windy, sunny day. Walked across the road to my cottage to check in the folks & have some lunch.
  5. 1:30 p.m. - Back to Murray's to load the coolers & hitch the boat up to Brad's truck.
  6. 2:00 p.m. - Registered for the Poker Run & headed out on the water. Spent most of the day zooming around Murray Harbour & River, drinking beers in the boat & visiting with the fishing boats on the Poker Run.
  7. 8:00 p.m. - Back to Murray's to unhitch the boat trailer & continue drinking beers.
  8. 9:30 p.m. - Across the road to the cottage to check in with the folks & have some dinner.
  9. 11:00 p.m. - Back at Murray's to play caps for awhile, then walked down to the lighthouse with Murray, Brad & Angela.
  10. 2:00 a.m. - Home, after spending an hour or two standing around a bonfire & chatting with the Newfoundlanders who were at the lighthouse.
Tuesday, August 1st (real life):
  1. 7:30 a.m. - Got up, showered & got ready for work.
  2. 9:00 a.m. - At work. Slogged through the 135 work emails & 72 personal emails that awaited me.
  3. 5:30 p.m. - Off work & heading home. Must call my landlord, doctor's office, grandparents, one of my students, and the 4 or 5 friends who left messages while I was on vacation.
  4. 9:00 p.m. - Sex & the City (one of the good things about being back in the land of cable TV - we have just two stations at the summer cottage).
  5. Midnight - Bed (lame!)
Don't worry, I'll get over this peevishness soon. Once I get all of my pics uploaded, I'll mentally extend my vacation by sharing them with you all!

No comments: