Monday, August 21, 2006

I'm Not Usually a Morning Person

But for some reason, I was on Sunday. Here's how it all went down. ;)

I went to a bridal shower on Saturday (pictures to come tomorrow), then drove up to NH to spend time with the family. I arrived at 8:00 p.m. & had BBQ left-overs while we watched the Pats game. After a full day of moving things to the new apartment in the morning, helping out at the bridal shower in the afternoon & driving 2
½ hours north after the shower, my head hit the pillow before 11:00 p.m.

Any summer weekend at the lake house finds me sleeping on the screen porch (above). With the weather this weekend, I felt like I was sleeping on the high seas. Rain pattered down around the porch, wind swooshed through the trees, the lake splashed against the shore. I slept really well despite the myriad noises. I woke up at 6:15, went to the restroom & lay back down, intending to go back to sleep.

However, the birds were now awake & eating breakfast from the feeders next to the porch. The rain was still pattering, the wind was still swooshing, the lake was still splashing. And for some reason, I began to formulate my personal statement for my grad school application in my head. OK, actually it was out loud. Yes, there I was, lecturing to myself about history at 6:30 in the morning - and I realized I wasn't going to be getting back to sleep.

I got up, let the dog out, started the coffee, grabbed pen & paper, and began taking notes. I'll give you the brief synopsis, as you probably don't care much about the details. There are four fields of history in which I am really interested. Like, "Oh my gosh, that's so cool! I love it - I want to know more & more & more" interested. They are: Scottish history, New England history, Canadian Maritimes history &
nautical history. They may seem somewhat disparate fields, but there are actually a myriad of connections there that I would love to explore.

I do realize that they are somewhat obscure fields, but I think that may work to my advantage. As in, the graduate dept. of history at State U. may say, "Hey, neat. We've never had anyone do
that before!" Besides, if I can't get myself into grad school by talking about the fields of history that really intrigue me, then I just can't get myself into grad school. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

K said...

Hey - grad school isn't as hard as you think girl. Sounds like you've got some keen interests and that will definitely help you. I just received my MA from Emerson in Media Arts, so if you have any questions, let me know!