Friday, September 15, 2006

Days of Auld Lang Syne

I've been thinking a lot lately of my Scottish family. By that, I mean the American students with whom I studied in Edinburgh & the Scottish boys that we befriended there. We're a motley crew & currently spread out over the globe. Friends from my Scotland experience live in Boston, New Hampshire, NYC, New Jersey, DC, Michigan, Seattle, Buenos Aires, Wales, and (naturally) Edinburgh.

However, we have all stayed in touch & continued to care about each other's lives. I think the experience was important & transforming for all of us (even the Scots). Perhaps that's why we have all stayed close, as a way of honoring that bond. Here are some pictures from various good times together over the past few years:

Kristin (NYC), Kate (DC), and I - the summit of Arthur's Seat, October 2003
Steven (Isle of Canna), David (Wales), Kate, Monica (NH), Kate (Chicago), Alex (Buenos Aires), Me, Sarah (Edinburgh), and Iain (Edinburgh) - the Grassmarket, Edinburgh, June 2004
Iain, Sarah, Monica, Me, David - Finnegan's Wake, Edinburgh, January 2005
David, Chris (Seattle) and I - Medford, MA, April 2005
And the real reason that prompted this post - Iain & Sarah, who are getting married today in Edinburgh. Congratulations, you two! You're a great couple & I know you'll be happy together. I couldn't make the wedding, but I'm still hoping to make it across the pond in the spring. I've been too long away . . .

No comments: