Monday, January 22, 2007

Baby's First Credit Card

That's right, kids. Stacey's got her first credit card! Scary, huh? ;)

It's probably hard to believe that this is my first card. I am 25 years old, after all, and my generation looooves ourselves some debt. I've always been a little nervous of getting a credit card & going nuts. I don't have the best self-control, but I feel ready for the responsibility. Plus, assuming I do get into grad school for next fall, I'll feel more comfortable having some kind of emergency money to fall back on.

Don't worry - I didn't post an actual picture of my card on the web. That would be the acme of foolishness. However, that is the sample picture of my exact card from the Bank of America website. The best thing? It's a National Trust for Historic Preservation rewards card! That means a portion of every dollar I spend goes to the National Trust. As a history buff & an aspiring museum curator, that makes me happy. :)

Oh, and guess who's breaking in the new card by buying her airline ticket to Scotland? That's right - this girl!

6 comments:

Drama Queen said...

Cut it up NOW. That's all I can say. . .

Pickle said...

I'm not going to tell you that credit cards are the work of the devil because that's what everyone said to me when I got one and it pissed me off no end. I'm not saying they weren't right, but you don't need me to tell you.

I had a braw time spending the bank's money, and it's all paid off now, so no harm done.

Drama Queen said...

I WILL tell you they ARE the work of the devil and I never had any fun spending mine. It was strictly for emergencies . . . its just unfortunate your definition of ‘emergency’ gets a bit slacker the less physical money you have
:-)

eileen said...

I racked up $5000 in credit card debt during my first year of grad school. But I'm also notoriously bad with money, so you will probably have much better luck. My advice? Put it in a glass of water and stick it in the freezer- that way, you can defrost it for large, planned purchases (i.e. airline tickets) but resist the temptation of having it so handy in your wallet. Sounds silly, but it works.

Drama Queen said...

I heard that too! I gave mine to Boyfriend. Now when I want something I have to negotiate it back. If I manage to present a well balanced argument for the purchase (and it is worth the energy os said argument) then I know the purchase is worth the debt. . .

Anonymous said...

congrats on the card. something you need to have at some point in your life.

I've had cards (yeah... that's right, with an s) since I was 18 and I have never paid a finance charge. best advice? think of it just like your debit card and pay the full balance each month. If you HAVE to use it and not pay the full balance, pay as much as you can afford (sweet god, not the minimum) and keep it in that glass of water mentioned above.

also... buy me something.