Anyway, I spent both days this weekend up in Portsmouth, both working & moving. My college friend (whose wedding I was in last fall) & my parents helped me with the big stuff - bed, dresser, wardrobe - yesterday. Luckily, driving a 17" U-Haul isn't as hard as I thought it might be!
Without further ado, here is the start of my list of good things about Portsmouth. I know I'll be adding to it as I get to know the city better, but we'll start with this:
- the ocean! Nearby! All the time! I'm really excited about this one, you guys. I love being near the ocean & hearing seagulls as I wander around continues to endear me to this little port city.
- According to Google Maps, there are nine - count 'em, nine - bars within a mile of my new place. ;)
- Ceres Bakery on Penhallow St. I've been coming in here for lunch for a few months now. The sandwiches are great & the counter help is always friendly & pleasant. Plus, the bakery often displays the work of local artists. What more can you ask for?
- Free wi-fi in Market Square. Gotta love a city who recognizes the burning need of its citizens to loaf around the square, drink coffee, and surf the web.
- The Friendly Toast. 1950's kitsch, hipsters, and great breakfast food. Enough said.
- Prescott Park Arts Festival. Every time I've been in Portsmouth this summer, there's been something fun going on in the park.
- Did I mention being near the ocean? ;)