Sunday, August 26, 2007

Things to look forward to in Portsmouth

Wow - what a lot of people found my blog through Universal Hub on Thursday! It always shocks me a little when Adam picks up something I've written & throws it up there. My normal traffic is between 25 and 35 hits per day. Last week, when he posted my story about the creep in Concord center, I got 224. The Boston post got 166!

Anyway, I spent both days this weekend up in Portsmouth, both working & moving. My college friend (whose wedding I was in last fall) & my parents helped me with the big stuff - bed, dresser, wardrobe - yesterday. Luckily, driving a 17" U-Haul isn't as hard as I thought it might be!

Without further ado, here is the start of my list of good things about Portsmouth. I know I'll be adding to it as I get to know the city better, but we'll start with this:
  • the ocean! Nearby! All the time! I'm really excited about this one, you guys. I love being near the ocean & hearing seagulls as I wander around continues to endear me to this little port city.
  • According to Google Maps, there are nine - count 'em, nine - bars within a mile of my new place. ;)
  • Ceres Bakery on Penhallow St. I've been coming in here for lunch for a few months now. The sandwiches are great & the counter help is always friendly & pleasant. Plus, the bakery often displays the work of local artists. What more can you ask for?
  • Free wi-fi in Market Square. Gotta love a city who recognizes the burning need of its citizens to loaf around the square, drink coffee, and surf the web.
  • Did I mention being near the ocean? ;)

1 comment:

Kate said...

Sigh. I LOVE Portsmouth. I went on my honeymoon there. I want to go back this fall. It's such a great town!

Glad you're moving to such a nice place to live!