Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I Can't Think of a Good Title

I've never been the kind of single person who disliked & badmouthed Valentine's Day. Nor was I the type to sit around in an orgy of self-pity, watch romantic movies, and eat chocolate alone. I generally spent past Valentine's Days hanging out with friends, going out to dinner, spending time with family, and generally not noticing the holiday. My father always bought my sister, mother & I some cute Valentine's thing & that was enough.

Still - I can't help but be excited that this is the first Valentine's Day I've spent with someone I care about. Tonight, we're actually going to lay low & watch a movie in our PJ's. On Saturday night, we're going out for dinner for both Valentine's & our 5-month anniversary. We're not fancy, so we'll probably go to someplace simple in Southie, like the L St. Tavern or the Playwright. Give me a good beer, a good burger & Nick and I'm fine, thanks.

This wasn't too sappy thus far, but prepare for it to get a tad more warm-fuzzy. Those of you who can't handle it might want to check out now. ;)

Being with Nick for the past five months has helped me understand, more than ever, how important the little things are. Yes, I like him because he will be giving me a Valentine's Day necklace that I commissioned from my co-worker. Yes, I like him because he makes me dinner more often than the other way around. But more than that, I like him because of the little things. Yesterday morning, as he was about to leave for work around 5:45am, I sneezed. He heard it through the bedroom door & said "Bless you!" on his way out the apartment door.

I guess the point of this rambling, disorganized post is that I'm spending my first Valentine's Day with a boyfriend & I'm happy. Bully for me. :)

(I didn't post about Valentine's Day specifically last year, but I did post this just after the holiday. I must have had love on the brain.)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

glad to hear you enjoyed valentine's day (and continue to celebrate it!) We're looking forward to seeing you guys!

Drama Queen said...

I love Valentines day too. It makes me take stock of what I have. And I have a very wonderful thing (as shown by the huge bunch of flowers I got sent to my work).

Anyway, so many posts yesterday were insulting Valentine’s Day making me feel shameful for liking it.

Besides that wasn’t a slushy post, you should have read mine

londongirl said...

Even if I don't have love, it's still lovely to hear about others' love.

Long may it continue!