Sunday, December 10, 2006

Getting To Know You - Holiday Edition

Courtesy of Jen at Jenny Sais Quoi . . .
  1. Eggnog or hot chocolate? Definitely hot chocolate, with a little bit of peppermint . . .
  2. Does Santa wrap presents or just place them under the tree? In my experience, Santa wraps presents carefully and even writes out the tags! ;)
  3. Colored or white lights on tree and/or house? Grew up with colored on tree, white on house. We recently discovered that all of us would have preferred white on both!
  4. Do you hang mistletoe? Yup - above the door right now. Snuck a kiss from Nick the other night!
  5. When do you put up decorations? I start the day after Thanksgiving.
  6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Tie between stuffing and mashed potatoes.
  7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? How do you pick just one? Driving around Boston with my family to see the Christmas lights (bolstered by hot cocoa from DD's), attending my church's candlelit Christmas Eve services, watching "The Grinch" and "Rudolf" on TV, lying on the family room floor & staring up at the tree, reading "The Night Before Christmas" on Christmas Eve with my father & sister . . .
  8. How and when did you learn the truth about Santa? Wait - what "truth"? Did I miss something???
  9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Nope, wasn't a tradition in our family.
  10. How do you decorate your tree? When I moved out on my own, my mother gave me all of "my" ornaments - ones that my parents had given me, ones that I had picked out, or ones that I had just loved. I love seeing them on my own little tree (above).
  11. Snow - love it or dread it? Love it at first, sick of it by March.
  12. Can you ice skate? Yes, but haven't done so in a very long time. Nick & I might attempt it next weekend on the frog pond - wish us luck!
  13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Not sure - might be my digital camera. Thanks, Mum & Dad!
  14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Spending time with family and celebrating the wonder of Jesus' birth.
  15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? Not much of a pie person, so I'd say candy canes and the like.
  16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? See #7. However, I'm also looking forward to creating new holiday traditions eventually with a husband & children.
  17. What tops your tree? A little red-haired angel. My parents used to alternate her and a blonde one (for my sister). Now that she's with me, though, she gets pride of place every year!
  18. Which do you prefer - giving or receiving? Probably giving. I can see that even more so in the future, now that I have an adorable nephew to spoil!
  19. What is your favorite Christmas song? Too hard to pick just one, but the top contenders would be: Baby It's Cold Outside, All I Want for Christmas is You, Silver Bells, O Little Town of Bethlehem, Good King Wenceslas, I'll Be Home for Christmas, and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.
  20. Favorite Christmas movie? Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol.

2 comments:

Pickle said...

Aww, this made me feel even more festive than I did already! My favourite christmas film of all time is the Muppets Christmas Carol, I watch it every christmas eve, without fail...

Anonymous said...

"Not the pagan meaning from before winter solstice celebration was co-opted by newcomers, but the second, more meaningful meaning. The celebration of the birth of Jesus, which most likely took place in April."
http://stitchymcyarnpants.com/moks06/?p=231