Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"Any minute now, my ship is coming in"

I was listening to a song by Colin Hay last night (don't you love it, Jenny?). It's called "Waiting for My Real Life to Begin" & I love the idea behind it. In essence, he's looking for his ship to come in. And, really, aren't we all at some point in our lives?

However, for me, it's complicated. My move to Portsmouth was based on practicalities. I needed a graduate degree to get the jobs I really wanted & this was a good location from which to attend State U.

Somewhere along the line, though, this life I've created here in Portsmouth became the life that I've always wanted. Here, I have good friends, a good job, a good apartment, and a deep sense of place. I feel as though I've finally found somewhere that I never want to leave.

I'm halfway done with my degree now. And while that's exciting, it's also incredibly scary because it means that one year from now, I no longer have an excuse for staying in Portsmouth. :( I feel so invested in my life here - this life that I've constructed, piece by piece, all by myself. I just don't want to give it up.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can find a job next year in a place that's close enough to commute. Because otherwise? I don't know what I'll do. I came to Portsmouth to live because it was cute & convenient. And now I never want to leave. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh you know I LOVE me some Colin Hay. LOVE LOVE LOVE. He loves a good sea/ship/ocean metaphor too ;)