Saturday, March 23, 2013

Shedding Pounds

I started using a weight loss app back in November and so far I've lost 7 pounds. I'm really quite pleased with myself about that, since I (like most people, I imagine) tend to gain weight over the holidays.  I'm doubly pleased when I consider that while I'm now 7 pounds lighter than I was in November 2012, I'm around 15 pounds lighter than I was in January 2012 (the 2011 holiday season hit me hard).

I use an app called "Lose It," which is a daily calorie tracker.  I'm allowed a certain amount per day for a certain weight loss plan - mine is ½ pound per week (slow & steady).  If I exercise, my calorie budget goes up by the amount I burned exercising.  Simple and a good illustration of the most basic of diets - eat less & move more.

I like the exercise list it has, too.  Almost everything you could want is on there, from clearing land to wii sports.  Since I live in snowy New England & hate the gym, my winter exercise regimen goes something like this:
  • walking (the dogs or around my two work towns)
  • snow shoveling (lots of that this winter!)
  • downhill skiing (really snowboarding, but same difference)
  • oh, and sexual activity (TMI, I know.  That one never ceases to amuse me, though.  For example, what's the difference between "moderate" and "vigorous" sexual activity?  I ask for no particular reason . . . )
This morning, however, I realized with joy how many more activities would become open to me once the damn snow melts.  To wit:
  • bicycling
  • gardening
  • hiking
  • running
  • swimming
  • yardwork
These are all things I do regularly in the spring/summer!  Now I can use the app to justify having another beer in the hammock (I did an hour of yardwork!) or another margarita at the lake (I swam to the raft and back three times!).  Sweet deal.

No comments: