Sunday, April 01, 2012

Planning the Planting

In the last few weeks, I've become oddly obsessed with gardening.  This is new for me.  I've just recently become a pretty good houseplant mama (a baker's dozen at the moment & nobody dead yet!).  I've never tackled the outdoor stuff, though, so I'm a bit nervous.

But you can't succeed, or fail, unless you start.  So I marked up our Google calendar last night, scheduling garden tasks each weekend until about mid-May.  One of the first, scheduled for this Saturday, is building two raised beds for the southwest corner of the house.  They will house our veggie garden (a new experiment, to supplement our CSA at Marini Farms).

We're planning to make them 3x8' (using this tutorial) and orient them perpendicular to the house.  They'll get great afternoon sun over here and that black dot at the bottom of the siding is the spigot, so watering them should be a breeze.  We may also get a rain barrel and put it underneath one of the two drain spouts nearby.

I went out today after we walked the dog and measured how far out from the house the beds will be.  Our back garage is down the slope to the right, so we wanted to make sure cars can get around the beds if they need to.  Should be all set, but I marked the ends of the beds with cement blocks just for reference.  I know it doesn't look like much now, but this spot should be pretty green & productive come summer!

No comments: