Thursday, January 14, 2010

RMT (Random Music Thing)

One day over the holidays, I was listening to some Tchaikovsky on last.fm, namely The Nutcracker Suite. I also clicked on the 1812 Overture, because I'd never heard it all the way through.

You know the 1812 Overture, right? Tchaikovsky wrote it to "commemorate Russia's defense of Moscow against Napoleon's advancing Grande Armée at the Battle of Borodino in 1812" (info nod to Wikipedia). It's the one with all the cannony "BOOM BOOM BOOM" bits in the middle. Probably why everyone uses it for fireworks displays.

So . . . you can imagine my surprise when I listened to the overture in its entirety and realized that the first ninety seconds of the 1812 overture are actually sweet and moving. Go listen it it yourself and see!

1 comment:

Andrew said...

god save the tsar! I don't completely understand it, but I guess at the fire-and-brimstone part (i.e. the part played in V for Vendetta) Tchaikovsky wrote part of the French national anthem, and then the Russian national anthem, as if the music itself was fighting at Borodino.

Oh, Napoleon. Russia's cold!