Tuesday, January 06, 2009

By Way of Explanation

Finally . . . I've been itching to write this post for awhile now. Since I've told you all so very little about The Boy, it'll be a combination "how we met" & "how we got engaged" post. ;)

At this point, we've been together for a little over three months. However, we first met last May & saw each other often (about once a week) as friends over the summer. We were on a weekly trivia team together. He was actually interested in our third team member, a good friend of mine, when we first met. After a couple of weeks, though, they both had decided the spark wasn't there. By about mid-August, he & I were interested in each other, but not sure how to begin something.

Eventually, after everyone (including us) knew we liked each other, we went on a proper date. And things just fell into place from there (although I did joke to him on our first date, "I hate dating someone I know! You know all of my cute, funny first-date stories already!"). With the exception of a few scattered days in the very beginning and a 3-day conference I attended in November, we haven't spent a day apart since September. We said "I love you" at 1 month, "forever?" at 2 months, and made the latter official with a ring around 3 months.

I had a hard time believing it was real at first. I've had some major break-ups in the past few years. However, as I've told him, my past relationships have actually helped me figure out the elements of our relationship that are fundamentally different than others I've been in. And every day with him strengthens my conviction that he's really the one for me.

Besides, I've never been anything but completely myself around him & I've thrown some pretty strange, vulnerable, and nerdy parts of me at him. Somehow, they make him love me more, not less. I guess it must be right, then. ;)

1 comment:

To Be Announced said...

What a romantic story!!

Congrats ... so excited for you :)