Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Belated Thoughts on Obama's Inauguration Speech

I watched the inauguration from home before I headed up to campus for the day. I was running late, so I ended up jumping in the shower ten minutes before noon & rushing out a few minutes later. Therefore, when our 44th president was sworn into office, I was sitting on the bed in my robe. ;)

After he was sworn in, I was supposed to get ready & head up to campus to meet The Boy. However, his speech was so compelling that I couldn't tear myself away until it was over. I just sat on the bed, texting The Boy, and tearing up. And the lines that got me the most?
  • We remain a young nation, but in the words of Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things.
  • The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works.
  • As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals.
  • To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict, or blame their society's ills on the West — know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy.
  • America, in the face of our common dangers, in this winter of our hardship, let us remember these timeless words. With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents, and endure what storms may come.
God bless him. God bless us all. And forward into the breach.

(full speech text here)

No comments: