Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Goodbye Summer!

Well, Labor Day weekend is over & I'm back to school this week. While it won't be fall for a few more weeks, I'm moving into my fall routine & that deserves a look back at the summer that's ending.

It was a good summer, on the whole. I spent a lot of time working, enjoying beverages with friends, and generally just enjoying my first summer in Portsmouth. I spent a number of good weekends at the lake with my family (most notably, Thing 1 & Thing 2). And I spent my customary wonderful two weeks on PEI.

However, I was apparently having such a good time that I mostly neglected both my "summer to-read list" and my "summer projects list." Of the 30 books on the former list, I finished just 3: Devil in the White City (which was brilliant), The Weight of Water (which was terrible), and Sons of Providence (which was ok). I did re-read a number of old books & read a number of books not on the list, though. Does that count for anything? ;)

Now for my "summer projects list." The ones in bold are the ones I actually did:
  • Sand rusty vintage patio chairs & repaint
  • Sort through old clothes & donate to Goodwill
  • Take photos of "hidden" patios, gardens, backyards around Portsmouth
  • Improve recently written article & submit for publication?
  • Plant window boxes: one w/ annuals, one w/ herbs
  • Maintain Museophilia
  • Secure an internship for the fall
  • Migrate Enigmatic Snippets to this site (tried, but alas . . . )
  • Answer calls for papers for fall conferences
  • Take a cooking class?
  • Plan a January trip to Scotland or Jamaica?
Ah, well, there's always next summer!

1 comment:

Susie said...

I still miss Portsmouth! Though I'm guessing I won't miss it quite as much come winter...