Sunday, August 03, 2008

Snippet from a Charlottetown Saturday Night

Here's the text (much abridged) of a conversation I had last night while out at a bar:

Guy @ Bar: Where are you from?

Me: Boston, but I'm on PEI every summer.

Guy: I work near Boston sometimes. blah blah blah.

Me: Oh, neat. blah blah blah.

Guy: You're really pretty.

Me: Um, thanks. Is that a wedding ring?

Guy: Yeah, can I buy you a beer?

Me: Um, I think it's past last call. Where's your wife?

Guy: Home in Ottawa. Want to dance?

Me: I just don’t feel comfortable dancing with a married man.

Guy: Just asking you to dance – not asking you to marry me.

Me: You couldn’t! You’re already married!

Me, to a friend ten minutes later: “When you’re getting hit on by married men, it’s time to go home.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

“When you’re getting hit on by married men, it’s time to go home.”

Yup, it is.

Oh, how I want to visit PEI. Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe have forever romanticized it for me.

Anonymous said...

that is hilarious!

Stacey said...

Oh, I agree, BEG. Despite having gone to the Island all my life & having dear friends there who are real people (warts & all), I always keep expecting my Gilbert to show up at our cottage door. ;)

Stacey said...

Thanks, MAT. Glad you finally embraced your blog nickname. ;)