Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What I did at work last week

This, right here, people, is one of the reasons why I do what I do. Last Wednesday, while respectable people were working away at their jobs from 9-5, I was learning how to make Indian slapjacks on an open hearth at Strawbery Banke! I took some photos, though, so you can follow along at home. :)

Here we have the mixin's: equal parts wheat flour and corn meal (where the "Indian" in the title comes from, as that was the 18th century nickname for corn meal), two eggs, a cup & a half of milk, and a pinch or so of salt. We also have my Dunkin' Donuts coffee, poured into that brown ceramic mug to look more "period."

The mixin's, all mixed up. The consistency is something like pancake batter.

First slapjack on the "spider," a frying pan with legs so you can place burning coals underneath it. Actually, I think this is the third or fourth slapjack - the first one didn't look nearly this good!

And the finished product. These slapjacks were a bit bigger than the normal size, but on the whole, I was pretty happy with my first hearth cooking project! Stay tuned for more. :)

(Cross-posted on Museophilia)

No comments: